An impressive 16th century stone L-plan tower house of four storeys
and an attic, founded by the Burnett family, the castle is particularly
famous for its Jacobean painted ceilings, only uncovered in 1877.
One of the most historic objects is the Horn of Leys, a jewelled
ivory horn on display in the hall. It is thought to have been given
by Robert the Bruce to the Burnetts in 1323 when he granted them
the Lands of Leys. The castle was built between 1553 and around
1596 and stayed in the hands of the same family until 1951 when
Sir James Burnett presented Crathes to the National Trust for Scotland.
Signed edition prints of original watercolour painting.